Dunn's River Falls and Park has an interesting history. It is believed to be the site of the famous battle of "Las Chorreras", fought in 1657 between the Spanish and the English for possession of the island.
The Spaniards called the area “Las Chorreras”, which means “the waterfalls or the springs”. The meaning of “Las Chorreras" has been reduced over a period of time to "Ocho Rios" which means eight rivers, although there are actually only four rivers in the area - Cave River, Roaring River, Turtle River and Dunn’s River These "Chorreras" are characterized by clarity, unending flow and swift descent, punctuated by rapid cascades and waterfalls which pour directly into the Caribbean Sea.
The Dunn’s River Falls and Park is an astounding flowing falls that extends across more than 183 meters or 600 feet. Following the English victory in 1657, Charles Pryce became the first owner under British rule.
The site of the Dunn’s River later became part of the 276 acre Belmont property, which was acquired by Government in 1972, to provide for future development of recreational and park facilities. The Belmont property was entrusted to the (UDC) for the people of Jamaica.